Can't search 3-letter words?

Trying to search for threads/comments on CAT, but it ain’t lettin’ me.

This might be a hard-coded thing, might not be easy to fix, but I’d love not to have this impede a search.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : CAT

vBulletin standard search rules usually use 3 letters as far as I know. I think otherwise it takes too long. It’s the same on cgtalk.

I’ve changed the minimum word length to 3, as the server has plenty of specs to spare. If we start to choke it’ll go back up.

Note to Bjorn or Sim: I only changed the VB settings, are there any server settings that need to be changed?

Thanks Rob. Returns no matches ATM, though it should at least turn up this thread. :slight_smile:

you can also do CAT* to search for smaller things… works on most boards

OK, that works, thanks Dave.

Is there a way to use search qualifiers like NOT? I tried the query cat* -category, also cat* NOTcategory but I still get the keyword category.

[QUOTE=Rob Galanakis;1639]I’ve changed the minimum word length to 3, as the server has plenty of specs to spare. If we start to choke it’ll go back up.

Note to Bjorn or Sim: I only changed the VB settings, are there any server settings that need to be changed?[/QUOTE]
Since you’re using fulltext indices, yes, you have to change ft_min_word_len in my.cnf, reboot mysqld, and repair all tables with fulltext indices (that’s vb_post, vb_socialgroup, vb_thread, and wiki_searchindex). This will take a little downtime. Should I go ahead and do it?

[QUOTE=Eric Chadwick;1644]OK, that works, thanks Dave.

Is there a way to use search qualifiers like NOT? I tried the query cat* -category, also cat* NOTcategory but I still get the keyword category.[/QUOTE]

It’s a Tech Artist’s forum! We should have regular expressions instead! :D:

Air Jordan 1 Air Jordan 1Air Jordan 10 Air Jordan 10Air Jordan 11 Air Jordan 11Air Jordan 12 Air Jordan 12Air Jordan 13 Air Jordan 13