Introductions

Hey MoP,

yeah, its cool that we get to share things, it really just helps the industry as a whole produce better quality games (which is good for all of us!). If I’m thinking of the same presentation as what you’re talking about, Jeremy Yates (our lead gameplay animator) and myself presented that at GDC earlier this year. It was a fun talk to give and the stuff I’ve been wanting to share for a while now…

Judd

Speaking of which! :):
http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/press/GDC%202008/UnchartedTechGDC2008.pdf

I’m stoked to see so many great TAs signing up.

There is a whole bunch posted here:

http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/

just click on press & events in the top left bar…

Enjoy :wink:

[QUOTE=judd;401]There is a whole bunch posted here:

http://www.naughtydog.com/corporate/

just click on press & events in the top left bar…

Enjoy :wink:[/QUOTE]

Ah, that’s where it was hiding! I’m blind. :D:

Hi all, I’m working at The Creative Assembly here in the UK and have absorbed some amount of technical work into my remit as time has gone on. I’m no expert, but I do like to save time wherever possible and there’s tons of scope for that in every project. :smiley:

Great idea for a community site by the way! :slight_smile:

Hi All. Robin Ball here. Lead Artist at Gamesauce.

I followed the link Eric Chadwick posted on The Chaos Engine to find this place. What a great bunch of people there are on here. I hope for great things from this forum. :slight_smile:

Uhhh huuuuu guys!

Hi everyone, just saying hello. My name is Artur Leão and I work at a post-production house in Portugal called Ingreme. I hope to learn even more with you all :smiley:

Hell, we dress up to play!

Hop on MSN, please, Ben. I have a question about ShaderFX.

Hi. My name’s Jason. I’m an effects TD in live-action visual effects, but I do a crap-ton of pipeline/tool work too. Been doing this for about 4-5 years professionally, with 1 year in the middle spent teaching English in Japan.

This looks interesting, although very Windows- and games-based. I’ll see what I can contribute to help balance it out.

Hello!

I’m just a dumb character artist with aspirations of becoming smarter by reading this forum! I’m hoping some of this tech stuff rubs off on me…

Thanks to Rob and all who got it together :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Ancient-Pig;482]Hello!

I’m just a dumb character artist with aspirations of becoming smarter by reading this forum! I’m hoping some of this tech stuff rubs off on me…

Thanks to Rob and all who got it together :)[/QUOTE]

Ahaha Pig, you have Rob and Ben working at your studio… just bug the piss outta them! :wink:

Hey guys, I’m Cody Ritchie, and I’m a CG Sup at EA in Vancouver (the Blackbox studio). Currently I’m working on the latest Need For Speed game and partially working on a new IP project, slowly changing over as we finish off NFS.

Usually I’m the tech artist/artist type, where I do make lots of actual art, and I’m usually also the lead character artist on the projects I’m on. I got into the tech stuff when I wanted to speed up how I worked, and I gradually helped other as well, and got into the tech side, because, well, I guess I was good at it! Most of my scripts and stuff are related to characters & animation, sometimes worlds/level art if they ask me for something. I try to straddle the line pretty closely between art work and tech work, which might be a rare thing in the industry as they like to force you into some well defined slot, but I’ve managed to say “screw that” so far :D:

CG Supervisors at EA are sort of the end of the line of tech artists, probably more akin to a Technical Art Director I guess? Sometimes working on specific areas, but the lead one will cover the entire project (which is what I’ll be doing on the new IP project - woot!).

I write lots of MEL script, and I taught myself shaders a couple years ago and ended up writing most of the shaders for the previous title (a cancelled new IP project).

Hey Cody, good to see you here man.

A question for the Bioware folks…

Just out of curiosity, is there much sharing of tool resources between the two locations?

Hey Guys,

My name Jonathan and I’ve worked in the game industry as a game artist, character artist and animator but in the last 3 or 4 years I have either evolved or devolved to a tech artist…depending on the day I’m not sure which.

@JHaywood:
We do share tools - yes - although not extensively. A lot of the tools that we’ve created are very project specific. We’ve documented all of the general tools that we’ve written here and shared them around with the guys up north. We’re using a lot of the processes and methods here for various things that they developed up there. There’s a pretty good amount of sharing, but we’re not working with them closely on a daily basis.

Ello All! Jeremiah here, art director over at Emergent Game Tech. makers of Gamebryo. Glad to see this site!

Hey Jeremiah, congrats on the upcoming Fallout 3 release. Glad to see your engine is doing the hard yards. :D:

[QUOTE=JHaywood;505]A question for the Bioware folks…

Just out of curiosity, is there much sharing of tool resources between the two locations?[/QUOTE]

This is probably a topic that deserves its own thread :slight_smile: If you don’t make it, I will tomorrow, it is a very interesting topic.

Fallout 3 booth was muy excellente! Great E3 press coverage. =)