Introductions

Hello everyone,
I’m Matan Halberstadt, working as a lead TD in snowball vfx (Israel).
We are mainly working on broadcast material.
Hope to see this forum grow.
M.

Hello All,

I’m an FX artist in Vancouver who seems to find himself working in technical areas more often than not. I’ve done a bit of scripting with Python to help manage mass changes to the 100s of FX files we deal with and often find myself providing a bridge between artists and programmers on a wide range of topics - and I like it :).

I’m super stoked about this forum – and hope the content continues to grow.

Hello,

I’m Jon, Technical Art Director at Next Level Games. I’ve been using 3D Studio since DOS version 1, which is close to 17 years, I sold 3D Studio for 6 years in Vancouver and have been in the games industry in one capacity or another for about 11 years.

Over the past 6 years I’ve been primarily focused on providing artists with whatever tools/systems they require to be more productive and have helped shape our game pipeline.

It’s nice to meet you all, I recognize many of your names through my years of lurking on the various forums. :):

Hey everyone,

I’m Erik, I am currently an intern at a place called Red Eye Studio (http://www.redeye-studio.com/) I build custom rigs and work with mocap there.

I spend much of my time rigging and scripting these days and I love it. I animate every once in a while too. I am really looking forward to learning from this forum and hopefully I can give back aswell :slight_smile:

Hey, guys. I’m Bob wu. I work for a game studio in ShangHai China. I was a animator. I’m a junior tech artist. I write Max Script & Maya mel, develop animation pipelines and rig characters.
It sounds a good place to learn.

Hi hi folks,

Jay K. here from WhiteMoon Dreams. It’s wonderful to see a forum dedicated to this art - What an ambiguous journey it’s been before figuring out that there could be a role such as a TA. (:

Thanks for setting up this board, guys!

Hey guys!

Sorry but, I’ve chosen to stay anonymous for now. If you really want to dig, you probably could find some stuff out.

I have worked with games for about 12 years now, mainly consoles, starting with PS1 all the way up to now. I wouldn’t consider myself a tech artist, but a lead artist that has a thorough understanding of most things technical.

I’ve done anything from large open world games, heavy on simulation games, racing games, cartoon stuff, small arcadish titles and some old school pixel painted stuff.

This site really sparked my intrest, and hopefully, this one is a little more productive than the gossip-and-gripe-ridden ones out there. :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi all. This is Dan Bernard, a senior tech artist in Chicago currently working with Robomodo Inc., a small band of misfits most of which are formerly from the old EA office here.

The studio is mostly using XSI, the script work I’ve been doing is Python or JScript. We still use Max to get access to Ben’s shaderFX tool but that’s about all Max is good for IMO :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=dbernard;1087]Hi all. This is Dan Bernard, a senior tech artist in Chicago currently working with Robomodo Inc., a small band of misfits most of which are formerly from the old EA office here.

The studio is mostly using XSI, the script work I’ve been doing is Python or JScript. We still use Max to get access to Ben’s shaderFX tool but that’s about all Max is good for IMO :)[/QUOTE]

Welcome Dan. I’m really happy to see some Robomodo representation here.
Feel free to check out this thread to further discuss software aspects of your pipeline http://tech-artists.org/forum/showthread.php?t=138&page=2 ( if you want ). Was XSI part of the pipeline at EA Chicago or how did you guys settle on what to use. I’m always wondering if studios could start over today what they would do differently.

Yea, Softimage actually goes all the way back to the NuFX era prior to EA acquiring them and coming to Chicago. NuFX had been using Max for some projects and Soft3D for others (I remember NBA Street & Street 2 were both Softimage based). When XSI came into existance, I’m pretty sure Max was phased out completely.

When EA purchased NuFX, some Maya found it’s way in… Def Jam Icon was Maya and Marvel was XSI.

Very interesting. Thanks for the info!

Hi guys,
This is Anton Vasilescu and I work as a Freelancer TA for the Arch Viz industry, so the software of choice is Max and I’ve just started to play with Python and love it more and more every day.

Hey everyone!
I’m Chris, I work as a 3D Artist for a small GameDev company in South Africa called Luma Arcade!!! Also choice of software is Max :smiley:
I am more artist than I am techy, but I straddle both sides of the fence :slight_smile:
~C

Hiya,

I’m Paul Truss, formerly lead technical artist for Pivotal Games which is sadly no more. I’m currently job hunting.

I wandered over here from the chaos engine.

Cheers,

Paul

[QUOTE=Noakesy;1148]Hiya,

I’m Paul Truss, formerly lead technical artist for Pivotal Games which is sadly no more. I’m currently job hunting.

I wandered over here from the chaos engine.

Cheers,

Paul[/QUOTE]
We setup the Employment forum just for that purpose! There are three postings by companies in there right now. In any case, welcome to the forums!

Hey gang, glad I found this place!

I am (soon to be was) the sole TA for Ensemble Studios. For about the last 11 years I’ve been doing all manner of MaxScript, scripted controllers, art & tech pipeline implementation, C# tools (and some light c++ when needed), boat-loads of fire-fighting, supporting our 37 artists spread over various projects, and more increasingly memory budgeting & analysis.

The nature of the games we have done here @ ES have left me a little behind the curve in a few areas I look forward to brushing up on from you guys. There’s not much need for complex animation rigging when the vast majority of your characters are 200 polys/200 pixels RTS models, but I digress…

I look forward to learning a ton from everybody about this unique and ever expanding role we call a TA.

edit: Oh yeah, we’re a Max house like many of you it seems.

-Chris Van Doren

Hi there, guys,

my name is Lukas Dubeda (aka loocas or duber) and I’m mostly a freelance TA running my own little company “duber studio”, but for the past year I’ve been a Lead Technical Director at UPP, Prague, on a, yet to be released, film project we just finished this week. I’ve primarily done rigging, tools development for the team of artists involved and a lot of animation transfer stuff (Maya <> XSI <> Max) as well as some other areas, like full shots execution here and there.

[QUOTE=sl4ppy;1348]Hey gang, glad I found this place!

I am (soon to be was) the sole TA for Ensemble Studios. [/QUOTE]

Woohoo!!! HALO WARS FTW!:D: Welcome!

I can’t believe I ready through this whole thread… :wink:

My name’s Eric Pavey. I’ve been involved with just about every facet of the art-side of game development for the past 13 years. But the last half has been heavily steeped in tech-art, specifically tuned to character rigging and tools. Work in Maya, Mel, Python (and Processing for fun :wink:), oversee character rigging, mocap integration, art tools authoring, art->engine pipeline development, etc. Just wrapped up Dead Space (great project), and recently discovered this site. Look forward to meeting you all.

Hello everyone,
Just stumbled on this forum and I’m excited about it. My name is Jeremy Carson, I’m a Technical Animator at Red Storm Entertainment. I have worked for EA and Midway prior to recently starting here at RSE and I’m psyched to see so many others from the games industry here. I do rigging and animation support type stuff, scripting and pipeline tools when necessary. Mostly I just exist to make other people’s lives easier. I was a big Maya user until coming to RSE where I’m now making the switch to Max. So far so good…

Looking forward to participating here.