Introductions

Hey Jeremy,

It’s good to see another Ubi-type here.

Say hi to Todd, Garner and Brian (if they’re still there). I met them at an Ubi conference last year in Québec.

Made it though 15 pages!!!
Hey guys I’m Robert Butterworth, Senoir TA at Krome Studios, Brisbane.
Yo Ditton!

Been a TA for 6 years and done pretty much ever part of art creation. I script/code API for Max, Maya and script in anything I need to get the job done(Python, C#, AutoIT, AVS).
Currently working on a cut scene pipeline in Maya and R&D work on motion capture and alternate animation methods. Looking at Houdini as a possible game dev pipeline.

Love the site!

~B)

Hi… I’m Matt Ostgard, living in currently sunny Eugene, Oregon. I work at GarageGames as an artist… but do a bit of scripting once in awhile (usually in Python)…

My main app has been 3ds Max (I can’t seem to escape from it). Using Maya more often now, though… and Just bought a copy of Modo (which is pretty damn sweet).

Just stumbled on this site the other day… really, really awesome…

Hello, I’ve been around for a few weeks but only posted 1 time :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’m Nathan Follmer, currently wearing many hats at Faramix Enterprises Inc. I mainly do programming and modeling for the company, but I’ve been known to write and even do some UI art when needed. We just released our first title for PC, cellzenith (www.cellzenith.com).

Besides CZ, I am working on END, our UE3 project. I am creating ‘Tech’ Demos for our various features.

I use Maya, Blender and Max, depends on what I feel like using that day. I like Blender because I can model a lot faster with it than the other two, but I love Max’s tools. I rarely use Maya but I can’t give it up because it was my first love, it got me started :slight_smile: I also use Zbrush, although I have been making environment assets lately so it hasn’t been ran in a little…

My name is Ross “PaK-RaT” Patel. I am the Lead Technical Artist at MGS’s Turn 10 studio in Redmond WA. I am so excited about this site. I’m mostly a lurker here cuz I have alot more to learn than contribute at this point.

-R

Hey there!

I’ve been reading over these forums for the past few days and found a lot of very helpful information… so I decided to join!

I’m currently a student at the Art Institute in Orange County, California. I’m taking classes towards a degree in Visual Game Programming.

Hello all!

My name is Justin Barrett. I’m the Animation TD at Reel FX Creative Studios in Dallas, TX, where I support the animation department through tool development, scene troubleshooting, etc. I was an animator and animation supervisor for 7 years before becoming a TD in January of this year, and was “broken in” during the production of Open Season 2 and a series of commercials for Kung Fu Panda.

I’ve been dabbling in scripting and programming since I was a wee lad, have been using MEL for about five years, and just discovered (and immediately got hooked on) Python a couple months ago.

Hello Everyone,

My name is Alex, I’m an animator at 7 Studios in Los Angeles. I know a little maxscript and currently I am trying to learn python. I mostly write scripts to increase my productivity with max. This forum is such a great resource, thanks to everyone.

Hey all,

I’ve been reading the forums for a few months now but never posted, better late than never I guess. My name is Dan and I’m currently a student in Brisbane, Australia with hopes of becoming a TA in the next few years.

hey alex, if you dan lehrich very well give him some crap for me. he’s my old roomate from when we were interns at ea.

It’s a small small world after all ha ha ha

Jeremy I know Dan. He’s the creative lead on the project I’m working on right now. I’ll make sure to give him some crap tomorrow!

Hi,

My name is Sam and I am currently a Tech artist on the StarGate worlds MMO.

Hey everyone,

My name is Dan and i’m a junior artist at Doublesix Games (SouthPark Team).
They have me doing alot of the rigging at D6 and I like the sound of programming my own shaders/PP effects so it’s likely i will be checking in on occasion.

Ps. I came across this site whilst researching HLSL/Render monkey. It looks like there are a bunch of really experienced guys round here!

Hi everyone!

Love the idea for a tech-related forum, someone at cgforum.at posted the link to this site. BTW, any Austrians here? :wink:

My name’s Ronny, I’ve worked as tech artist at Rockstar Vienna a while ago and am currently doing freelance work, ranging from modeling to rigging and also teaching Maya & Motionbuilder.

Hiya peeps,

I be just a random hobbyist/modder who came across this site! I never really realized before that there was so many technical artists out there I thought it was a rarity, never really worked professionally as either artist or coder but I have been using max since R2.5 was first around. On the code side Ive been doin Uscript since well, UT2003 was released maybe alittle before, QuakeC with Q1 and Q3 before that. More recently its been maxscript and C#/.net :p:

I spose I did do alittle work in archviz professionally for awhile but tracing drafties work got borin, I prefer to be workin on games :cool:

I was really intrigued by some of the topics here so I thought Id stick around :):

Hey all,

My name is Ron and I’m a CG Supervisor for EA Canada. This is my 10th year in the “industry” (already) and I’ve worked as Creature Wrangler at ILM and Character Pipeline TD for Sony Imageworks before this.

Some of the cool stuff I’ve had the chance to do:

• helped introduce/build the Maya pipeline for animation at ILM
  • helped write the previs software used on Star Wars III (changed up the whole Maya interface for that)
  • introduced Python and Qt for tool writing at Imageworks
  • wrote some nifty plugins for jEdit to make it into a Mel/Python IDE for Maya
  • was the originator of the CharPik image hotspot character selection tool 10 years ago
  • wrote the Graph Editor Redux tool which is a python plugin in Maya
  • investigating Python.NET, WPF, Silverlight for GUIs in Maya

Always something new to learn…

Projects I’ve worked on:
A Christmas Adventure from a Book Called Wisely’s Tales [Hey, everyone has to start somewhere]
The Mummy Returns
Star Wars: Episode II
Men In Black II
Terminator 3
Peter Pan
Star Wars: Episode III
Polar Express
Spiderman II
Open Season
Surf’s Up
Beowulf
Virtual Me
Let Go (Award Winning Animated Short)

Hi, I’m Dave Biggs, Lead / Technical artist for Torus Games in Melboure Australia. I’ve been in the industry for ~ 14 yrs and at Torus for 9 years. Primarily doing MEL / Maya API and firefighting…

A few major things I’ve done at torus are

Maya Exporter
Entity placement and mission design tools
Character rigging tools
zillions of workflow enhancement scripts.

I wish I found this site sooner, it’s great!

Hi, my name is Nicolas Dalavouras and I used to be a technical artist at Creative Patterns (Strasbourg, France).

I’ve worked on several things such as production pipelines for Nintendo DS, Nintendo Wii and XNA creating exporters, tools, rigs and shaders. I’ve mainly worked on XSI and 3ds max.

I’m glad to finally find a portal on technical arts :slight_smile: (since our profession isn’t even recognized in this country :S…)

PS: Are there other French people around here? :slight_smile:

Hi,

I’m French to and loved working with XSI it’s a Technical Artist perfect companion ! ah! dev in c# do miss these days :slight_smile:

Welcome,

Hi Nicolas,

Yes there are a few French/French Canadian members (most in Canada though, not France). Glad you found the forums!

As for a recognized profession, I think this is something even the US has only done recently, and the role varies from studio to studio and even within studios. On the other hand, you should be happy you are one of the first and few French tech artists!