Legal question regarding my own personal tech art

I´ve been contacted by a representative (product coordinator) for a major american AAA game dev studio regarding a piece of technical art hat I´ve created (Nightshade UV Editor). He is asking if I could provide an EULA for him.

Problem is that I do not have any official EULA (legal doc): Nightshade UV Editor (NSUV) is licensed as donationware and can be used for both personal as well as commecial purposes. However, I do not want anyone to steal my code/tool, repack, redistribute it and claim it as their own (obviously).
Now the question is: Is there even any reason for me to be worried about this? I have no issues with big studios or educational institutons using my piece of tech art. Occam´s razor to me is that this guy just wants to make sure that their studio won´t have any legal issues if their employers use my tool - correct?

in my experience, they just need to give their lawyers something that says they wont get sued or have to open source their own code if they use it. If you’re worried about someone repacking the tool, if you’ve put it on github, i’m not sure there is a lot you can actually do (how would you even know or prove it?).

One simple option could be putting it under a creative commons’ license.
It comes in human-speak, lawyer-speak and searchable and you can ‘customize’ the license to your liking: https://creativecommons.org/choose/

The MITand BSDlicenses are both pretty non-controversial and less likely to get you banned than the copyleft family descending from GPL. Either one is a good way to provide yourself with clear ownership while letting other people use your stuff without fear of legal repercussions.

OTOH, ‘how do I make money off open source’ is a completely different matter :slight_smile: