Rockstar Toronto is looking for an experienced, passionate Technical Artist focused on Animation to help research and develop new technology for future titles.
This role involves the creation of new approaches to animation retargeting, facial animation tracking/rigging, secondary motion simulation and character deformation; both by improving tools/pipelines and the final quality of the assets in game.
The ideal candidate will have at least 4 years games or VFX industry experience in a similar role and must have used Maya/3dsMax in that role – possessing a strong knowledge of math and programming languages.
- Work closely with animators, code and other TA/TDs to improve animation retargeting systems in runtime.
- Collaborate with the animation team to improve facial animation tracking and obtain the best results from animation and rigging pipelines.
- Help develop scan based facial rigs and create production tools to support new facial pipelines.
- Research cloth, secondary motion and hair/fur authoring tools and simulation/pseudo-simulation technologies.
- Bring innovation in character secondary motion and body deformation, from content creation through to the game engine.
- Demonstrate creativity and technical ability within the constraints of console development.
- Experience using Maya and/or 3DsMax as a Technical Artist/TD.
- Strong C++/Python programming skills, OO design skills and 3D math background is a prerequisite for this role.
- Relevant experience using Maya API or 3DSMax SDK in a Technical Art role is desirable.
- Ability to design and implement efficient and innovative body and facial rigs.
- Experience setting up and creating tools to handle complex clothing/hair/fur simulations is desirable.
- Enthusiasm for the R&D of complex facial rigs, body deformation and animation retargeting.
- Passion for character based games, good eye for character and animation aesthetics.
- Strong communication and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines without sacrificing quality.